Tuesday, November 11, 2008

I CAN be taught!!

As I got closer to the point of working in a dental clinic, to say I was nervous would be an understatement. I was scared to start working on an actual patient. Classwork is one thing, facing a stranger who is trusting me and expecting me to know what I am doing is another. I prayed and prayed and still felt like I had forgotten my name on the first day. Well, I got through it because, even though I wanted to make myself scarce so I wouldn't have to do anything, I knew I needed to learn cause it would be that much worse to get out in the field and not have any training. I say a prayer every day before clinic that I won't get frustrated to the point of panic (an old habit).

The dentist at the school is pretty set in his ways and can be...uh...rude. At one point, he basically implied I didn't have any common sense. The lead instructor, Jenniffer, told me it was just him, and that I had plenty. I have been able to get through the hours, and do okay, but I still felt inadequate. I wasn't sure if I was really retaining any information. The next day, I always felt like I was at square one.

Yesterday I was feeling a bit down. As I was driving in to school, I was trying to pinpoint what was causing my blues. Was it family stuff? I wasn't sure. Later, as I was setting up one of the dental rooms (or operatories as we call them), it dawned on me that I wasn't enjoying my chosen career. I didn't dislike what I was doing, but I didn't like it either. I kept telling myself I would enjoy it more as I got more experience. After all, I had only put in 6 days of clinic. I knew I wouldn't be perfect right away.


As I was assisting with our last patient, the dentist would ask for a certain instrument, and I was able to pick out the one he asked for. I felt a little proud of myself because I did remember some things. The dentist then, out of the blue, says "You're doing a really good job, Rachel. (He had never mentioned my name before). You are a good dental assistant".

Wow. Underneath my mask, my mouth was hanging open. I was speechless. I did manage to whisper a thank you.

He could have stopped there and I would have been grateful, but he continued. He said I was catching on quickly and he could tell I was really putting forth an effort to learn. I didn't understand what else he said, probably because I was in shock. Earlier I didn't use common sense, and now this. I actually started to blush. I wasn't used to so many compliments at once!

We finished up the procedure and sent the patient on their way, when Dr. Hadlock again told me I was doing a good job, followed by "You're a keeper". AND he told Jen. She came back and said "Well, he likes you".

Today, I went in with a new attitude. I was able to get going with confidence. In fact, I helped others when they had questions. There are still things I'm unsure of, and I know there is still much to learn, but everything is gonna be okay!

1 comment:

Leeann said...

I'm glad you are chilling out and enjoying the moment. I worry about this too...how will I handle patients when/IF I ever get there?
Guess I'll be coming to you to cry on your shoulder! :)