I got the biggest shock of my life today. A lifelong friend/neighbor committed suicide today. I think I am learning the true meaning of 'shock' right now. I feel as though this happened to someone I didn't know. Maybe that's true....it wasn't him...
I haven't talked to Jarod in years, and I am going through a long list of "what ifs". This list goes WAY back to when we were kids. I know it doesn't do any good, but I still keep thinking...
When we were little kids, (his parents were divorced) we had sleepovers when he wasn't with his mom. I don't remember details, because I was too young to really know anything. But his dad soon got custody of him.
Jarod and I "dated" when I was in 8th grade, he in 7th. We were both in a school play, so we had to be there long before school started. Being neighbors, we walked together. One morning, he gave me one of the biggest compliments anyone has ever given me. He told me he had a problem with swearing. I didn't swear, so he was always careful about what he said in front of me. In other words, he said, he wanted to be a better person when he was with me. I can tell you the exact spot we were at, I remember it so clearly. That was the day we started 'going out'. He was always nice to me. He made me friendship bracelets (which I believe I still have one). He even made me a tape of love songs. (Remember, we were in Middle School, so this was a big deal).
I used to babysit for his parents. His little brother knew of our relationship, and would sing that little kissing song. (We never kissed until the Valentines Day Dance, when we tried to come up with our 'song'. He was my first kiss :) We lasted about as long as most couples last at that age...which is not very long. This is one of my what ifs.
After that year, I went on to High School and we ended up in our own groups of friends. We didn't talk too much anymore.
This is another what if.
After HS, he lived in CA for a little while, and I saw him during his visits. I wrote him a 3 page letter apologizing for what seemed the end of our friendship years before. I wanted to stay in touch with him, but I didn't make good on that.
What if...
He got married and had a son. I did a little cross-stitch wall hanging with his name, birth date, weight, etc. on it. I again only saw them briefly during their visits. I never approached him because I thought it would be too weird.
What if...
All these 'what ifs'...I know it doesn't do any good to think about these things. I can't change the past. ...but, what if I would have been a better friend, had taken a more aggressive approach to staying in touch, especially when I knew his life was a mess. I've been depressed before. I have done things that could of easily ended my life. I shut people out. I fought with people, but I also had people praying for me, and who didn't give up on me. Point is, I know what mindset I was in, and I know what kind of help I accepted and, more often, rejected. Maybe things would have ended the same for Jarod, even if I had reached out...
...but...
...what if...
7 comments:
I hear your "what if's"!! What if I had reached out to him the last time I'd seen him and he'd admitted to me he was down and struggling? What if, in high school, when I was with him daily, I had been a stronger friend, able to install in him a confidence that I could always be relied upon? What if I could have helped? What if I could have been someone to call? What if...he hadn't made that choice?????
I remember Jarod when he was just a little boy... I'm sad today too.
I know you and I know that you wrote this with tears streaming down your face.
I was so sorry to hear this, too. I know he had it rough lately and sadly, now his son and family will, too.
Know that I'm thankful for you and everything you have done for me.
Such a tough subject, and one that is re-told far to many times.
Maybe it is not as important to say what if, but what I plan.
At first I was reluctant to comment on this post, but I can feel the pain in your words and have been through a similar situation in my family long ago.
God bless,
Eric
YAHOO! You won my giveaway~! Come on over to see on my blog :)
From one winner to another winner, congrats on winning Shauna's giveaway :o) So sorry to hear about your friend!
Oh no! I was coming over to visit your blog and tell you congrats on winning Shauna's giveaway when I read this post. :(
I, too, had a neighbor friend that I grew up with that killed himself. It's been 13 years since it happened. I hope you can find some peace and know that you are blameless. Take care.
Post a Comment